Ineffability and its Metaphysics: The Unspeakable in Art, Religion, and Philosophy.
(New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016) (Get!)
Click here for a review by Keith Ward in Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews (NDPR); here for a review by Robert Clarke in Culture and Dialogue; here for a review by Guy Bennett-Hunter, featured as “Book of the Month”, in The Expository Times; here for a review by Sebastian Gäb in Zeitschrift für philosophische Literatur; here for a review by William Franke and Chance Woods in The Year’s Work in Critical and Cultural Theory; and here for a review by Sameer Yadav in the Journal of Analytic Theology.
- ‘Realism, Pluralism, and Indispensability’ (under review)
- ‘Mathematical Indispensability and Arguments from Design.’ Philosophia. (forthcoming)
- ‘Whereof One Cannot Speak.’ In: Daniel Frank and Aaron Segal (ed.), Cambridge Critical Guide to Maimonides’s Guide of the Perplexed. Cambridge: CUP (forthcoming).
- ‘Mathematical and moral disagreement.’ (2019) The Philosophical Quarterly, Vol. 70, No. 279, 302-327. – Get!
- ‘Modal Structuralism and Theism.’ In: Fiona Ellis (ed.), New Models of Religious Understanding. Oxford: OUP (2018). (Get!) — Reviewed in The Times Literary Supplement, 6. September 2019 (Get!)
- ‘Aesthetic Ineffability.’ Philosophy Compass, Vol. 12 No. 2 (2017). (Get!)
- ‘Access Problems and Explanatory Overkill.’ Philosophical Studies, Vol. 174 No. 11 (2017). (Get!)
- ‘Mathematical and Religious Belief.’ In: Rico Gutschmidt/ Thomas Rentsch (eds.): God without Theism? New Positions about a Timeless Question. Münster: Mentis (2016).
- ‘On Mathematical and Religious Belief, and On Epistemic Snobbery.’ Philosophy Vol. 91 No. 1 (2015): 69-92. (Get!)
- ‘Against Metaphysics Running Amok: Hegel, Adorno, and the Ineffable.’ In: Lisa Herzog (ed.), The Many Colours of Hegelianism. Palgrave Macmillan (2013). (Get!)
- ‘About Mathematics and Disagreement’ (in German). (2020) Philosophie.ch: Swiss Portal for Philosophy. – Get!
- ‘What mathematics can teach us about debating’ (in German). (2019) Süddeutsche Zeitung, Feuilleton, 7. January 2019. – Get!
- ‘Are questions about God rookie questions?’ (in German). (2019) Praefaktisch. A Philosophy Blog. – Get!
- ‘What’s hot in Mathematical Philosophy?’ (2018) The Reasoner, Vol. 12, No. 8. – Get!
- ‘Unspeakable things: Life’s most meaningful experiences can leave us tongue-tied. What can be said, let alone understood, about what’s unsayable?’ (2017). Aeon. A digital magazine of ideas and culture. – Get!
- ‘What Language Cannot Grasp’ (2017) Alaxon. A digital magazine for thoughts, articles of notes, and new ideas. – Get!
- ‘God, Value, and Nature, by Fiona Ellis (OUP, 2015).’ Philosophy No. 91 Vol. 2 (2016): 281-284 (Get!)
- ‘Constructing the World, by David Chalmers (OUP, 2012).’ The Philosophical Quarterly Vol. 64 No. 257 (2014): 651-655 (Get!)
- ‘The Significance of Religious Experience, by Howard Wettstein (OUP, 2012).’ Religious Studies Vol. 50 No. 1 (2014): 119-123 (Get!)
Outreach – Television, Radio, Podcasts
- “Does Math Reveal Reality?” (2020) World Science Festival, New York – Panel discussion with Brian Greene, Max Tegmark, Sheldon Goldstein and David Albert – Watch!
- Interview with The Huffington Post (Spain) on Philosophy of Mathematics (2021). – Read!
- Podcast “How Maths Changed Philosophy” (2020) Spotify – Philosophy for Our Times Podcast Series (Link)
- Interview with Michel Friedman for his show ‘Auf ein Wort’ on the topic of mathematics (2019). Deutsche Welle. – Watch!
- ‘Lost in Language’. (2019) Podcast episode for the Institute of Art and Idea’s podcast Philosophy for our Times. Recording of a panel discussion with Saul Kripke, Hilary Lawson, Paul Boghossian, and Silvia Jonas at the HowtheLightGetsIn Festival at Hay-on-Wye. – Listen!
- ‘The Mathematics of Thought: How has mathematics changed philosophy?’ Talk given at the HowtheLightGetsIn Festival at Hay-on-Wye in May 2019. Broadcast by iai.tv. – Watch!
- ‘Are You An Illusion?’. (2019) Podcast episode for the Institute of Art and Idea’s podcast Philosophy for our Times. Recording of a panel discussion with Julian Baggini, Silvia Jonas, Joanna Kavenna, Hilary Lawson, and Jan Westerhoff at the HowtheLightGetsIn Festival at Hay-on-Wye. – Listen!
- Radio interview on ‘Learning from mathematics means learning discussion and pluralism’ (in German; 2019). Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk (MDR), 7. January 2019.
- Interview with the Templeton Foundation on the topic “God, Science, and Ineffable Knowledge” (2017) – Watch!
- Podcast of an interview with Carrie Figdor of NewBooksinPhilosophy.com on “Ineffability and its Metaphysics – The Unspeakable in Art, Religion, and Philosophy” (2016) – Listen!
- Book launch and panel discussion of “Ineffability and its Metaphysics – The Unspeakable in Art, Religion, and Philosophy”, with an introduction by Gabriel Motzkin and a comment by Olla Solomyak (Van Leer Institute, 2016) – Watch!